5.08.2011

my heart's top two.

So...God has definitely been throwing some things at me here lately. He's put some things on my heart and I couldn't be more excited about them. I have to be honest in saying that what He's put on my heart hasn't been answers to questions I've been asking. In fact, there are certain areas of my life that I am so unsure of. The only thing I know to do is to take it day by day, step by step; trusting God 100% of the time...and maybe that's the lesson I need to learn most now.  Anyways here are some of the things God has been laying on my heart:


  • Planning a Girls Retreat-So, this has actually been something that has been on my heart for years now. But it wasn't until the past month that God really threw it at me. It first came to my attention through my heart (which is one of the main ways that God speaks to me). I mean it--literally my heart was hurting. When I have something on my heart and in my mind and I know it's truly God speaking to me, my heart does this funny thing until I do something about it. (Unfortunately, this isn't the only way God speaks to me--so no, not all of my "answers" or "solutions" or "callings" are this easy!) My heart was/is hurting because of the world we live in and the influences it has on our daily--especially as young women. And even more especially as teenagers. We are constantly being told we aren't pretty enough, skinny enough, etc. This truly breaks my heart because I believe that we are all created so wonderfully and beautifully by our amazing Creator. So, with this I've pretty much been running with the ides of what God has been laying on my heart. And I've already gotten a team of adult leaders to help me with it. God is Good! Plus we already have the retreat planned for the last weekend in September!!  We are calling it Weekend Escape. I am SO excited about this opportunity to minister to, share with and encourage these girls. I ask that you be in prayer with me about this weekend as we plan it and the weeks leading up to it.
  • Campus Ministry- Okay, so I have to be honest. I'm really not even sure what ministry opportunities there are at UALR (so if you're a UALR student and you have an answer to this--please let me know). but this is definitely something I have wanted to be a part of since the beginning of my college career...and I have waited for something or someone to come to me, but maybe I'm the one who needs to do something about it. I know we have a Wesley Foundation. and the only reason I know that is a) the building is close to where I park and b) because I'm a Methodist, so I just know!. But I have no idea what they do or what is offered through the Foundation at UALR. I also see a BCM building, but I don't know anything about it either. So, another thing God has been putting on my heart is starting some type of college ministry. I'm not sure yet what this means..if it just means an accountability group, a Bible study (or both!) or if this is going to end up being something more. (I hate that it's taken me until my Senior year to finally do something about it). But I can't be the only one feeling this way. And maybe it's finding an organization that already exist on campus--but where are they?! This is something I am very passionate about (young adult ministry) but it's also something I'm not sure what to do with--AND I'M A YOUNG ADULT!. but we're typically a forgotten group in churches. There are campus organizations out there--to supposedly keep us in. I'm not seeing them at UALR...if they're there, I'd be willing to bet they aren't reaching most students...sometimes you have to go to the people you're trying to reach, instead of inviting them to come to you (especially when the invitation isn't reaching them). I ask that you pray for and with me on this. That God will guide and direct me in the direction He wants this to go. For strength and endurance. For courage and creativity. And for continued passion.
So, that's it for now. I'll be sharing the rest as God reveals more to me and I am more confident in what way I'm supposed to move. :)


”A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)


4 comments:

  1. Love the blog!

    Here is a list of the Campus' Student Orginizations. Under column 'L' there is a denotation of org. type. The ones you'll prob. be most interested in are marked 'religious'. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq7kvTtaNxAPdFFic3RYMGNjY3IxUmloM3U2R0NwMWc&hl=en#gid=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if you want to start your own: http://ualr.edu/campuslife/assets/pdf/SOR.pdf

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brandon! I was actually looking at that last night before I did my final post!! lol. it's pretty useless to be honest. I did find one organization that is a potential.... the things is...is that there are organizations on campus...they're just not there.. LOL. they're not making themselves known to the student population. at least, not this student anyways. LOL

    ReplyDelete