1.10.2011

"be the change you wish to see..."

For those of you who don't know, or might not live in Arkansas, we were graced with snow last night all across the state. I live in Jacksonville, where we got between 4-6 inches. Other parts of the state got less and some parts got more than us. Now, we've been preparing for the snow for a few days now, listening to weather reports wondering how much we were going to get, wondering how road conditions were going to be--worrying about things we had no control over. However, yesterday after church and a meeting at church I was driving along the access road across from Walmart--my gosh was that parking lot FULL. That's something we could take control of--making sure we had enough groceries/supplies to last a few days JUST IN CASE. Making sure we had batteries for flashlights and candles on standby-just in case the electricity went out. Last night, before going to bed, I was honestly dreading the snow. See, being stuck inside the house with my family isn't exactly my IDEAL way to spend a day stuck anywhere , but that's another story. So as I was laying in bed last night, dreading the day that I was going to wake up to I couldn't help but start thinking about my life and how unhappy I am with it. Not in a depressed kind of way (although I did feel a bit depressed about it) but in the "I feel so unaccomplished" kind of way. I feel, in a way dead, stagnant, unmoving, STUCK.  I just don't feel like I've made a big enough of a difference in the world I'm living in (Jackonville-LR area) to matter.
So I went to sleep with a lot of stuff on my mind and on my heart.
My first thought when I woke up this morning was "great, a day at home. with my family. with really nothing to do. awesome." I wasn't too excited. After getting up, getting a shower and getting dressed it hit me how selfish I was being. I had just taken a warm shower. Just before getting the shower and waking up, I had slept in a warm bed, in a warm room. And I was putting warm clothes on my body. And hen I sat in my room and looked at the many clothes I have, the several jackets, coats and hoodies I have-not to mention all of the means of entertainment I had (computer, iPod, iPhone, games, crafts, a room that needed cleaning, books, etc). And I started thinking of those who may not be inside a warm building or have taken a (warm) shower this morning. Of people who didn't have weather appropriate clothing. --people who don't have BASIC HUMAN NEEDS.

...I was talking to a friend yesterday about Facebook statuses and what people put on him--how offensive and ridiculous they can be and how ridiculous people can make them when there's really nothing to be made of them.. Anyways, I asked her (she's not a Christian) if the posts that I posted dealing with God or bible verses offended her in anyway. My intent is never to offend or upset anyone, I simply am sharing with everyone on my friends list a Joy that I have in my life--it'd be selfish not to share it, no? She of course said it didn't offend her, but in our conversation about Christians and people of other religions she made a comment about what I call "Sunday only Christians" and how there are many people who only want to be a Christian on Sunday (morning). I think it's interesting the kind of perspective and opinion that is being given to Christians based on a certain group of Christians. Kind of like how because the 9-11 terrorists claimed to be Muslim--therefore all Muslims must be terrorists. Doesn't really seem to be the same does it? But it is. A small percentage of a certain religious group, in both situations, are representing a larger group of people who don't agree with what they're doing either. I do agree, it's time to become more than just "Sunday Christians" or "CEO's" as my pastor calls them (Christmas, Easter Only)...it's time to start living every day in a way that reflects Christ's love and the commandments He laid out for us.

The issue of people not having what they need isn't a "Christian" issue--that's not the point of this post. It's a basic-human-needs problem. It's a human problem. Not something that a certain group should be responsible for, but instead a problem that we, simply as humans, should be concerned about.
I don't want to say that I have been Blessed or that I am lucky to have all the things that I have because that would imply that those who don't have what I have aren't Blessed and are unlucky. I have been very fortunate to have parents that have provided a roof over my head, clothes and food and a job so that I can provide for myself more than I need.

I somewhat have a plan. And I encourage and challenge you to come up with a plan to change the World, one person at a time. it doesn't mean you have to have a million dollars to do something. It doesn't have to be giving away clothes or food. It could be volunteering your time at a food pantry..but it could be as simple as smiling at someone, because you never know who you might run in to--sometimes you never know the lives that you can change by something so simple.

I hope this post finds you well.

Grace, Peace & Love,

Corey

(unedited)

No comments:

Post a Comment