1.29.2013

Lenten Preparation Pt. 1

I first want to say that I struggled as to whether or not I was going to share this with the world wide web or if this was something I was going to do in private. But, I have decided that I am going to need people to hold me accountable to my commitment for several reasons of which I will go into more depth at a later point in this blog.


Lent.
I have to be honest, Lent isn't something that I have really ever fully participated in. The last two years I didn't "give something up," instead I added a spiritual discipline to my daily routine. Unfortunately, they didn't stick as I intended them to. And honestly, being in seminary has made it somewhat difficult to stick to my spiritual disciplines (ironic, i know!). I digress.

40 days of preparation. 
For those of you who aren't familiar with the season of Lent, the forty day time period represents the time that Jesus spent in the wilderness being tempted by Satan (Matt 4:1-11; Mark 1:12-13; Luke 4:1-13).
Lent is a form of repentance; a special time of prayer, fasting, and preparation for the coming celebration of the Resurrection of Christ (Easter). It is a time to focus on one's relationship with God. The truth is, this should occur daily; it shouldn't take the special preparation of Easter Sunday for us to focus our time around God--God requires and wants us to walk DAILY with him. Not just 40 days out of the year.

I'm not going to say much more, as my intent isn't to go on a preaching tangent. Although, I'm sure I could (if it weren't for my current readiness for sleep). I'm excited to experience Lent at Duke this year. I'm expecting it will be a different experience for me--being surrounded by numerous theologians and fellow seminarians.

Okay, so my original intent was to go ahead and share with you what my goals for Lent were this year. However, I think I am going to hold off a day or two. I don't want it to be a super, super long blog post and with what I have already said, it would turn into that. So, be looking for a "Lenten Preparation" part dos, soon!

Until then,
Goodnight, Blessings, and all my love,
Corey


"Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. No one, when tempted, should say, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one. But one is tempted by one's own desire, being lured and enticed by it; then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. Do not be deceived, my gloved." James 1:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment